Simulation of 5G Mobile Core Network using SDN & MPLS
Keywords:SDN system, MPLS system, CAPEX, OPEX, CCP, DCP, HCP
In particular, in order to have the best possible understanding of the effects that program-able networking has, carry out a low cost analysis of both the (software define network) system and the (multiple protocol layer switching) system. This will give you the possible understanding of the effects that program-able networking has on the economics of a network in comparison to traditional networking, which is also known as MPLS technology. This is done so that a better understanding of the effects that program-able networking, also known as software-defined networking (SDN), technology has on the economics of a network can be gained. Conducting a quantitative investigation using an activity-based methodology to compute the (capital expenditure) and (operation expenditure) costs associated with a network was the first step in achieving this objective. This investigation was carried out. Second, in order to compare the aforementioned architectures in terms of their financial performances, we used the USC Scalability metric in addition to the Cost-to-Service metric. Both of these metrics were used. These models include (centralized control plane), (distributed control plane), and (hierarchical control plane). This was done in order to obtain the possible understanding of the different SDN plane systems that are currently in use. The separation of control plane and data plane that is achieved through the implementation of software-defined networking (SDN) makes it possible to program networks. Because of this separation, network operators and administrators are now in a position to make better use of the network's resources and have an easier time provisioning those resources when compared to the situation before the separation took place.
2. Ganesan, Nithya, and B. Thangaraju. "Pox Controller based Qos Evaluation for 5G Systems-Network Slicing." 2020 7th International Conference on Signal Processing and Integrated Networks (SPIN). IEEE, 2020.
3. Larrañaga, Ana, et al. "5G NR Configured Grant in ns-3 Network Simulator for Ultra-Reliable Low Latency Communications." Procedia Computer Science 201 (2022): 495-502.
4. B. M. Waxman, “Routing of multipoint connections,” IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, vol. 6, no. 9, pp. 1617–1622, Dec1988.
5. Liu, Gang, and K. G. Ramakrishnan. "A* Prune: an algorithm for finding K shortest paths subject to multiple constraints." Proceedings IEEE INFOCOM 2001. Conference on Computer Communications. Twentieth Annual Joint Conference of the IEEE Computer and Communications Society (Cat. No. 01CH37213). Vol. 2. IEEE, 2001.
6. O. Younis and S. Fahmy, “Constraint-based routing in the internet: Basic principles and recent research,” Commun. Surveys Tuts., vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 2–13, Jul. 2003.
7. J. Lahteenmaki, H. Hammainen, N. Zhang, and M. Swan, “Cost modeling of a network service provider cloud platform”, in 2016 IEEE International Conference on Cloud Engineering Workshop (IC2EW), 2016, pp. 148–153.
8. S. Verbrugge, D. Colle, M. Pickavet, P. Demeester, S. Pasqualini, A. Iselt, A. Kirstadter, R. H.ulsermann, F. J. Westphal, and M. J ¨ ager, ¨ “Methodology and input availability parameters for calculating opex and capex costs for realistic network scenarios” , J. Opt. Netw., vol. 5, no. 6, pp. 509–520, Jun 2006.
9. S. Verbrugge, D. Colle, M. Jager, R. Huelsermann, F. Westphal, M. Pick-avet, and P. Demeester, “Impact of resilience strategies on capital and operational expenditures,” in Proceedings of ITG-Fachtagung Photonical Networks 2005, 2005, pp. 109–116.
10. N. Zhang and H. Hmminen, “Cost efficiency of SDN in LTE-based mobile networks: Case Finland” in 2015 International Conference and Workshops on Networked Systems (NetSys), March 2015, pp. 1–5.  C.
11. Bouras, P. Ntarzanos and A. Papazois, “Cost modeling for SDN/NFV based mobile 5G networks” in 2016 8th International Congress on Ultra-Modern Telecommunications and Control Systems and Workshops (ICUMT), Oct 2016, pp. 56–61.
12. “Data Center SDN Strategies Global Service Provider Survey,” IHS Technology, Infonetics, Tech. Rep., October 2015.
13. “Data Center SDN Strategies North American Enterprise Survey,” IHS Technology, Infonetics, Tech. Rep., February 2015.
14. L. Cominardi, C. J. Bernardos, P. Serrano, A. Banchs, and A. d. l. Oliva, “Experimental evaluation of sdn-based service provisioning in mobile networks,” Computer. Stand. Interfaces, vol. 58, no. C, pp. 158–166, May 2018. [Online]. Available: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.csi.2018.01.004
15. E. Hernandez-Valencia, S. Izzo, and B. Polonsky, ‘‘How will NFV/SDN transform service provider opex?’’ IEEE Netw., vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 60–67, May 2015.
16. N. Zhang and H. Hmminen, “Cost efficiency of sdn in lte-based mobile networks: Case Finland,” in 2015 International Conference and Workshops on Networked Systems (NetSys), March 2015, pp. 1–5.
17. I. H. Abdulqadder, D. Zou, I. T. Aziz, and B. Yuan, ‘‘Enhanced attack aware security provisioning scheme in SDN/NFV enabled over 5G network,’’ in Proc. 27th Int. Conf. Computer. Commun. Netw. (ICCCN), Hangzhou, China, Jul. 2018, pp. 1–9
18. M. Karakus and A. Durresi, “Economic viability of software defined networking (SDN)” Computer Networks, vol. 135, pp. 81 – 95, 2018.
19. M. Karakus and A. Durresi, “Economic impact analysis of control plane architectures in software defined networking (SDN),” in 2018 IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC), May 2018, pp. 1–6.
20. De Lope, L. Rodríguez, et al. "Cost models for next generation networks with quality of service parameters." Networks 2008-The 13th International Telecommunications Network Strategy and Planning Symposium. IEEE, 2008.
21. E. J. Kwak, G. e. Kim, and J. H. Yoo, “Network operation cost model to achieve efficient operation and improving cost competitiveness,” in ICACT, 2011, Feb 2011, pp. 1107–1112.
22. T. M. Knoll, “A Combined CAPEX and OPEX Cost Model for LTE Networks,” in Telecommunications Network Strategy and Planning Symposium (Networks), 2014 16th International, Sept 2014, pp. 1–6.
23. T. M. Knoll,“Life-cycle cost modelling for NFV/SDN based mobile networks,” in 2015 Conference of Telecommunication, Media and Internet Techno Economics (CTTE), Nov 2015, pp. 1–8.
24. K. Casier, S. Verbrugge, R. Meersman, J. V. Ooteghem, D. Colle, M. Pickavet, and P. Demeester, “A fair cost allocation scheme for capex and opex for a network service provider,” Proceedings of CTTE2006, the 5th Conference on Telecommunication Techno-Economics, 2006.
25. N. McKeon, T. Anderson, H. Balakrishnan, G. Parulkar, L. Peterson, J. Rexford, S. Shenker, and J. Turner, “Open flow: Enabling innovation in campus networks,” SIGCOMM Computer. Commun. Rev., vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 69–74, Mar. 2008.
26. Karakus M, Durresi A (2019) “An economic framework for analysis of network architectures: SDN and MPLS cases”. J Netw Computer. Appl 136:132–146.